Secret view in the new configuration dialog

2013-11.KmixConfigDialogI decided to devote some time to polishing KMix. I cannot reveal too much at this point, but here is a sneak preview of the new configuration dialog. This dialog got more and more crowded, so I decided on a tabbed design like many KDE applications use.Also it will be a central place for all the configuration, including Sound Menu and OSD.

Feedback is welcome, but keep in mind that this is a very early preview snapshot. I will commit the work in one or two weeks, when the development line gets “unfrozen”.

About these ads

14 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by nowardev on November 26, 2013 at 8:04 am

    btw pulse integration on kde sucks

    pvacontrol has features that on kde there is no way to get

    Reply

  2. Posted by pepedopolous on November 26, 2013 at 9:39 am

    Looks good but it’s hard to see from just one screenshot what the other tabs are for.
    Have you got any plans for KF5/Plasma 2

    Reply

  3. 1. Why is there an option “Enable system tray volume control?” For the sake of making it tweakable? If you don’t want to control the volume from the systemtray you just don’t scroll at it, right?

    Overall, I think you should show not too much options (only a very few will use). Please do not attempt to please ‘ the last 5 percent’ of the userbase as the other 95% will be faced with an overcomplicated GUI which they do not need at all.

    That being said: I really like the efoort you put into this. The menu became indeed a little bit hard to use so I am glad you took it upon you.

    Reply

    • The option “Enable system tray volume control” is there for a very long time, possibly already since KDE1.x. Removing it now might cause uproar. Some people have been passionate about it, if I remember correctly.

      Reply

      • - The first 15 years, cars were delivered with a sling to start the car. We abandoned them in favor of a key.
        - We have hunted xxxx years to get food on our tables. We stopped doing that and now we go to the supermarket.

        What is for a long time, might not be needed in the future. If you remove it, the 1% passionated pro options people will cause uproar. The other 99% of the userbase will think “Okey, makes sense” and scroll to the next post. Don’t be afraid for the upraor. Just know why you do it and that it makes sense ;)

      • You are probably right here, bartotten. Thanks to your comment I have started rethinking the matter.
        The option to hide the tray popup does not make too much sense anymore, as the KMix tray is much more featureful than earlier ones. And when I think how how many dozens hours I spent fixing bugs on the option, I should probably drop it: That code fragment is a complete mess, and nowadays major parts are about dueling the systray classes.

    • If you don’t want any options, why don’t you just use GNOME? And besides, if you don’t want to uncheck that option, you just don’t click on it, right?

      Removing options sucks!

      Reply

  4. Posted by Saabzero on November 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

    Sir, I’m excited!

    Reply

  5. Posted by KDE Fan on November 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

    Thx for your work on Kmix. My wish is a much better Pulseaudio support/integration in Kmix, like nowardev already said.

    Reply

  6. Great idea! Some time ago there was a similar question on the review board (https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/110276/). What we need is a generic approach that fit all configuration modules. I plan to write a section for the KDE HIG.(http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG). For the moment I wonder if the subordinated checkbox shouldn’t be deactivated when the icon is not docked at the system tray, and perhaps you can group options better.
    Please don’t hesitate to ask for support, opinions, and reviews on the usability mailinglist.

    Reply

  7. i like it a lot! it seems to be KDE-Plasma’ish than the current config dialog.

    one request:
    can we have this as a kcm, so that this could show up in our systemsettings > multimedia?
    it would be more logic to have to configuration for the soundsystem and kmix in one place.

    Thank you for your work :)

    Reply

    • Thanks for the feedback. Putting KMix configuration into systemsettings could increase visibility. It requires knowledge about kcm though. I and am not too eager too learn that. Probably someone else picks up this idea.

      Reply

  8. […] work to research relocation possibilities. While I was home I also spent time on completing the announced configuration dialog update and for updating the Sound Menu. KMix is more responsive,  playback changes being reflected by […]

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: